Shoreline Surf Kayak Weekend 4-5 March

Port of Plymouth Canoeing Association Forums Adverts, Buying and Selling Non Club Adverts Shoreline Surf Kayak Weekend 4-5 March

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The following came into the club inbox. If interested please contact the organisers: woec@dorsetcc.gov.uk
    As always, posting here is not an endorsement.

Dear Paddler

Please find below information on the Shoreline Surf Kayak weekend on the 4th and 5th March 2017.

We will be running a number of surf kayaking courses over this weekend and are taking bookings now . As well as plenty of practical coaching and theory we will also be arranging a sociable night out in Bude on the Saturday for anyone interested.  Accommodation / Campsite list at bottom of this email.

Have a read through the basic list.
    Look through the course details listed below.
    Send in a cheque and a note to say which course you’d like to do – payable to SHORELINE for the full course fee – to book your place.
    Address: 11a Crooklets Beach, Bude, Cornwall, EX23 8NE.

Courses

1. BCU 3 Star Surf Training – £149 (2 days)
    2. BCU 3 Star Assessment – £75 (1 day)
    3. BCU 4 Star Surf Training – £199 (2 days)
    4. BCU 4 Star Surf Assessment – £199 (2 days)

The following courses will not be run during this weekend but please let me know if you are interested as when numbers allow we will run them.
    BCU Moderate Water Endorsement (2 day training followed by separate 1 day assessment)
    BCU Advanced Surf Safety and Rescue
    BCU 5 Star Surf Training and Assessment

To be certain that these courses run we do need paddlers to book as early as possible

Details

Three Star Surf Training

This two day course will cover surf paddling skills, knowledge and theory as well as rescues and decision making.

Syllabus from www.bcu.org.uk/tests-and-awards/personal-performance-awards/paddlesport-start-i-1-to-3-star/

It is recommended that you hold the BCU 2 star award but this is not essential. There is no BCU fee and no need to register with the BCU for this training course.

You will need to bring all your own equipment. I’d recommend some extra layers that you can wear over your normal paddling clothing to keep you warm during any briefings at the waters edge. Please bring a packed lunch and warm drink and / or money to buy the same from handy Beach Cafes. 

We’ll meet you at Crooklets Beach, Bude at 10am on the Saturday. Please don’t get kitted up straight away as we may move to other locations as conditions dictate.

The cost of the Course will be £149 payable in advance payable to Shoreline and posted to the address below.

There are 8 places available on a first come basis, full payment will confirm your place.

To book please post the following to me:-

A cheques payable to Shoreline for £149
    Your Name
    Contact Details – Including email
    The date of the course that you are interested in
    An indication of your experience / paddling ability

Three Star Surf Assessment

This one day course will assess surf paddling skills, knowledge and theory as well as rescues and decision making.

Syllabus from www.bcu.org.uk/tests-and-awards/personal-performance-awards/paddlesport-start-i-1-to-3-star/

It is recommended that you have attended a 3 Star Surf Training course. Successful candidates will be required to pay a £12 BCU fee (members) or £25 BCU fee (non-members) for the BCU administration and issuing of their award.

You will need to bring all your own equipment. I’d recommend some extra layers that you can wear over your normal paddling clothing to keep you warm during any briefings at the waters edge. Please bring a packed lunch and warm drink and / or money to buy the same from handy Beach Cafes. 

We’ll meet you at Crooklets Beach, Bude at 10am on the Saturday. Please don’t get kitted up straight away as we may move to other locations as conditions dictate.

The cost of the Course will be £75 payable in advance payable to Shoreline and posted to the address below.

There are 6 places available on a first come basis, full payment will confirm your place.

A cheques payable to Shoreline for £75
    Your Name

Four Star Surf Training

This two day course will cover surf paddling skills, knowledge and theory as well as leadership, rescues and decision making.

Syllabus from www.canoe-england.org.uk/tests-i-awards/leader-i-guide-i-helm-qualifications/-paddlesport-four-star-leader/

The only Pre-requisite is for you to be able to paddle at the the same standard as the either the New 3 star surf award or the Old 4 star surf award. There is no BCU fee and no need to register with the BCU for this training course.

The cost of the Course will be £199 payable in advance to Shoreline and posted to the address below.

There are 12 places available on a first come basis, full payment will confirm your place.

A cheques payable to Shoreline for £199
    Your Name

Four Star Surf Assessment – Pre registration with BCU required

This two day assessment will cover surf paddling skills, knowledge and theory as well as leadership, rescues and decision making.

Syllabus from www.canoe-england.org.uk/tests-i-awards/leader-i-guide-i-helm-qualifications/-paddlesport-four-star-leader/

Pre-requisites:-

BCU 3 star surf award (recommended)
    4 Star Surf Training
    First Aid Award (2 day course)
    Prior Experience – 20 sessions, 3 different breaks, 2 different ares, managing others in the surf
    Aged 16 or over but can not be full leaders until over 18

You will need to register with the BCU in advance of this assessment, please use the link below to find out more about this registration process and to download the LR registration form, there is a £39 registration fee.

Go to Canoe England’s website and click Coaching followed by Course Registration.

You will need to bring your registration form and proof of all pre-requisites and all your own equipment. I’d recommend some extra layers that you can wear over your normal paddling clothing to keep you warm during any briefings at the waters edge. Please bring a packed lunch and warm drink and / or money to buy the same from handy Beach Cafes. 

The cost of the Course will be £199 payable in advance to Shoreline and posted to the address below.

There are 8 places available on a first come basis, full payment will confirm your place.

Your Name

Five Star Surf Assessment – Stamped LR Form required

This two day assessment will cover advanced surf paddling skills, knowledge and theory as well as leadership, rescues and decision making in advanced surf conditions.

Syllabus and notes from http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/media/pdf/5%20star%20Surf%20assessor%20notes.pdf

Pre-requisites:-
    40 advanced days of surfing logged
    Experience of management, safety and rescue
    First Aid award – 16 hours
    5 star training – with completed and office stamped LR form
    Advanced Surf Safety and Rescue training
    18 yrs old

You will need to register with the BCU in advance of this assessment, please use the link below to find out more about this registration process and to download the LR registration form, there is a £39 registration fee.

Go to Canoe England’s website and click Coaching followed by Course Registration.

You will need to bring your registration form and proof of all pre-requisites and all your own equipment. I’d recommend some extra layers that you can wear over your normal paddling clothing to keep you warm during any briefings at the waters edge. Please bring a packed lunch and warm drink and / or money to buy the same from handy Beach Cafes. You should bring additional equipment in order to plan and oversee an advanced surf session and manage any advanced surf incident. Knowledge of surf locations, weather, surf conditions etc will be required.

The cost of the Course will be £225 payable in advance to Shoreline and posted to the address below.

A cheques payable to Shoreline for £225
    Your Name

BCU Advanced Surf Safety and Rescue – No registration with BCU required

This one day training course will cover safe surfing principles and surf rescue techniques in surf specific craft.  This course is required for anyone wishing to proceed to 5 star surf assessment .

Pre reqs

Hold the BCU Foundation Safety and Rescue Training Award
    Have the personal surfing ability of a 4 Star Surf paddler
    First aid – not a pre-requisite but a 16 hour certificate is strongly recommended
    Be able to swim at least 150m in surf conditions
    20 surf sessions in moderate to advanced surf
    16 years old or over

What will you need?

You will need to bring all your own equipment. I’d recommend some extra layers that you can wear over your normal paddling clothing to keep you warm during any briefings at the waters edge. Remember you will spend a significant amount of time in the water!  Please bring a packed lunch and warm drink and / or money to buy the same from handy Beach Cafes. Additional equipment which would be useful includes:-

Throw line
    Knife
    Quick release tow line
    3 to 5 metre of climbing webbing and HMS karribiner
    Whistle
    First Aid Kit
    Survival Bag  / Shelter
    Mobile Phone
    Repair Kit

We’ll meet you at Crooklets Beach, Bude at 10am. Please don’t get kitted up straight away as we may move to other locations as conditions dictate.

The cost of the Course will be £120 payable in advance to Shoreline and posted to the address below.

A cheques payable to Shoreline for £120
    Your Name

Moderate Water Endorsement (Surf ) Training course – Pre registration with BCU required

This two day training course will cover surf paddling skills, knowledge and theory as well as leadership, rescues and decision making, but its primary aim is to work through as many surf specific coaching tools as conditions allow.

Pre reqs

Pre-register using CR form  (£17.50 fee) apply at least 14 days before the course start date. Go to Canoe England’s website and click Coaching followed by Course Registration.
    BCU UKCC Level 2 certificate in coaching paddlesport
    BCU 4 Star Surf Leader Award (new 4 star!)
    First aid – 8 hour course
    Over 18 years old

Who is the course for?

The course is similar to the old level 3 surf coach award. Whereas the 4 star surf leader allows you to lead small groups in the surf who are not complete novices, the moderate water endorsement award via this training course followed by a one day assessment you increase your remit both in terms of ratio and the inclusion of introducing beginners to surf kayaking. This course will cover all the skills neccessary to coach safely and effectively in the surf accross the ability range.

The cost of the Course will be £195 payable in advance to Shoreline and posted to the address below.

Your Name

Accommodation

Camping – Willow Valley tel 01288 353104 very friendly, all the facilities, very cheap.
    Hostel – North Shore tel 01288 354256 very friendly, cheap, drying room.
    Guest houses – Sea Jade 01288 353404, Sunrise 01288 353214, Links Side 01288 352410
    Hotels – The Inn on The Green 01288 356013, The Cliff Hotel 01288 353110
    More information:  Contact Bude Tourist information Office 01288 354240

Address for all correspondence:-

Shoreline Extreme Sports
    Owned by Simon and Nicola Hammond
    11a Crooklets Beach, Bude, Cornwall, EX23 8NE
    Tel 01288 354039
    http://www.shorelineactivities.co.uk
    info@shorelineactivities.co.uk

“This e-mail is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain information about individuals or other sensitive information and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this email in error, kindly disregard the content of the message and notify the sender immediately. Please be aware that all email may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.