Whitewater Trip Sunday 10th Oct 2021

Port of Plymouth Canoeing Association Forums PPCA General Forum PPCA Club Paddles Whitewater Trip Sunday 10th Oct 2021

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Doug SitchDoug Sitch
    Participant

This Sunday’s whitewater trip is to be led by myself & Jane. The trip is open to all river paddlers, but with priority being given for beginners’ skills training. We plan to go on the Tamar from Latchley to Gunnislake for an easy grade 2 run.

If you are planning to join us can I ask that you let us know please? Either by posting on here or contacting me directly. I don’t do social media.

If you are new to river paddling have a look at the “Whitewater anyone” thread on this forum. https://www.ppca-canoe-club.org.uk/forums/topic/whitewater-anyone-2/ and if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

The plan is to meet at Woolwell, just off the roundabout leading into Tescos, towards Lidl in Towerfield Drive PL6 7FG. We can shuffle boats around as needed to leave at 09:00. I will confirm this plan nearer the time. If coming to Woolwell is not sensible/suitable for you, then please meet us at Gunnislake at around 9:30 (on Devon side of bridge over Tamar there is a track up-river past the water pumping station to a muddy parking area).

There is little/no rain forecast for the remainder of the week so I anticipate pleasant/low levels.

Doug 🙂

Tracy BarnesTracy Barnes
    Participant

Hi Doug, I would like to join you this Sunday. It will be my first trip out and about with the club ( I am a Tuesday nighter usually)

I have my own 14.5 touring kayak which I can use, or should I ask to borrow a smaller/river boat from the club – I saw some information recently about hiring a boat for the winter season.

Clothing – I do not own a dry suit – what are your recommendations?

Appreciate your advice. Thank you Tracy

Doug SitchDoug Sitch
    Participant

Tracy,
    Can you give us a call sometime soon please?
    Easier to discuss options… 🙂
    Thanks,
    Doug

Tracy BarnesTracy Barnes
    Participant

Sure will, thanks

Doug SitchDoug Sitch
    Participant

Tracy,
    I think that your boat is a bit long for moving water work, it will be designed to aid you paddling in a straight line. This will work against you on moving water – where we transition a lot between water at differing speeds.
    You should contact the equipment officer to get a club boat (not too short) say 3m without a keel. You will need to make arrangements to pick up the boat too, as we do not meet at Mount Batten prior to the trip.
    Make sure you have a spray deck (that fits), a helmet & paddle too.
    Doug

Doug SitchDoug Sitch
    Participant

A dry suit is not essential for these trips. However, the likelihood of an accidental capsize is pretty high for a beginner, so you should be prepared as best you can. A wetsuit will keep you warm to a degree – even if wet, but wind chill is a big factor for a wet paddler, so a cagoule is a must for your top, and a pair of wind proof (walking) over-trousers is also a good idea. A few extra layers of fleece will help too – but cotton must be avoided.

mark curtismark curtis
    Participant

yo yo yo,
    The Banjo Man will see you sunday,Booyah!!!!!

Julian MilesJulian Miles
    Participant

I’ll join you on Sunday. Julian

Doug SitchDoug Sitch
    Participant

Autumn is definitely here!
    It will cold tomorrow so wrap up warm – and remember to also bring warm clothes, coat & hat to wear after the trip while waiting for the shuttle to bring cars back – it takes a while on this trip.
    On that note… We will not be have a lunch stop during the trip. We might manage a short stop for a very quick cup of tea/coffee from a flask, but not a lot more. Carrying a Mars bar or something for an energy-giving snack is always a good idea.
    Make sure you don’t forget to bring a helmet, spray deck, ba, paddle – and a boat!
    See you all tomorrow at 8:45 🙂
    Doug

Jane Hitchingsjanehitchings
    Participant

Hi Doug
    Are you meeting at Tesco Woolwell or not. I have a new(well new to me) car and dint fancy going to Latchley.
    See you tomorrow.
    Jane

Doug SitchDoug Sitch
    Participant

In case anyone else is reading…
    We are meeting in Woolwell in Towerfield Drive. See you there..Doug

Doug SitchDoug Sitch
    Participant

Julian,
    Can you text me sometime please?
    Doug

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.