Well, that's me off and done with the PPCA (for the time being!)

Port of Plymouth Canoeing Association Forums PPCA General Forum PPCA Chat Well, that's me off and done with the PPCA (for the time being!)

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi All,
    This will most likely be my last posting to the forum, and I have no doubt this post will soon be taken down.
    As I paddle solo off into the sunset away from the club that I have been with for so very long I have just a few things to say, please indulge me.

Hero to Zero in just 6 months!

To think 6 months ago at the AGM 2018 I was celebrating after being awarded the ‘Oscar Award’ in recognition of the work I had put into the club. Now I feel forced to leave the PPCA.

As you read this article I will have resigned from the PPCA, the club I have been a proud member of for over 13 years. Resigning has been a very difficult and emotional decision, one which I have spent many hours contemplating over, and being counselled by numerous club members who have been strenuously pointing out the advantages of remaining with the club. I thank you for your patience with me, you know who you are!

So here is how I see/feel it (other views will no doubt be available!).

My position both as your treasurer and as a club member has been made untenable. At a recent committee meeting your democratically elected committee unanimously made a decision (in my absence) against a proposition I had put forward (money for prizes for the photo competition). I stand by my proposition as being for the good of the club and to support a club member.

Just prior to my proposition I had informed the committee (in writing) that the total amount of money in the club accounts stood at £29,497.00. Yes, club funds stood at just short of £30K.

I asked that a sum not exceeding £50 be made available for two prizes for the photo competition. The committee voted that £10 would suffice for a prize.

With the vote going 100% against what I believe in I cannot sit idly by and accept the decision. A poultry £10 for two prizes for a club competition, last year we allocated £35 for prizes, we have over £29k in the bank!. During the 2 week period before or after the committee meeting no member of the committee communicated with me to discuss my proposition.

I believe I have been left with no other option but to resign as your treasurer and further, resign from the PPCA. Everyone will take a different view of my decision which is understandable. Simply, I believe the committee did not trust or respect me to put the interest of the club first and foremost, and that the committee will not support any member who raises their head above the parapet and organise anything outside of a club paddle.

But can I also just say that all committee members generally do a fantastic job running the club on your behalf, they gave up their spare time and are often un-thanked for their endeavours. But this time in my humble opinion the committee got it wrong and like in life, we all must shoulder responsibility for decisions we take and the consequences of those decisions.
    As I depart can I make several pleas to club members?
    • Can someone follow on and take the lead with the coastal clean-up paddles? The club gained so much publicity last year with organisations such as Plymouth Labour Party, Plymouth City Council, Plymouth Against Plastics, Plastic Free Plymouth, Surfers Against Sewage, the list goes on! The club really is ideally equipped and situated to ‘adopt’ the coastline from Fort Bovisand back to Mount Batten beach and make it a regular event to remove the pollution from that beautiful stretch of coastline.

• Paddlefest. Last year 9 club members attended, this year we have 16 members going, next year with the 2020 celebrations (400th anniversary of the Mayflower sailing from Plymouth) Paddlefest is due to feature highly in the City’s programme of events. The PPCA is the only kayak club endorsed by the Paddlefest organisers due to our support last year, the club could gain enormous publicity by keeping involved with this event.

• The Scillies 2020 (IOS 2020). There is £395 ring-fenced in the club accounts for the IOS 2020 but the booking of the campsite has to be made late Jul/Aug 2019. Those who have done previous club trips to the Scillies will tell you what a fabulous area it is to paddle, you just need an organiser. If the £395 isn’t used it is likely to be returned and swallowed within the clubs general account.

So my friends and fellow paddlers, I want to say ‘Thank you’ for making my time in the PPCA so enjoyable and giving me so many wonderful memories, together we have paddled some fantastic and beautiful stretches of water often enjoying a variety of experiences along the way. And I must mention cake! Delicious cake, thank you to the Bakers! Thank you.
    A special ‘thank you’ to the coaches and leaders who give so much of their time to make the club work, without who you wouldn’t have a club! The Norwegians would say “tusen takk”, a 1,000 thanks!
    So its au revoir from me, I will still be paddling so we may see each other on the water.
    I hope you can understand my reason for resigning as your treasurer and taking a break from the PPCA.
    Stay safe.
    See you somewhere wet.
    Tony
    T Sickelmore

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.