Sea kayak rescue skills.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

We bob around the Sound on club trips with hardly anyone capsizing and needing rescuing, which is good but does mean that when things do go awry, we don’t excel ourselves in carrying out our rescues. We think our rescue skills are good but actually, when push comes to shove, we are adequate. To try and change this there will be a number of sea kayak rescue skills training evenings during the summer. The dates are:

Tuesday 28 June.
    Tuesday 5 July.
    Tuesday 26 July.
    Tuesday 2 August.

On the water at 18:00.

As with last year Adam and Karen will be leading these sessions, so quality instruction is guaranteed.

If you think you know all you need to know about sea kayak rescues let me assure you that you don’t., but if you actually do then come along and prove it.

I have booked the club Atlantic sea kayaks for these evenings. If you want to use a club boat, please liaise with me.

Splish Splash, oops, gurgle gurgle,

Clive A.
    Mob 07854 648584
    E-mail cliveandjoy01@gmail.com

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

The forecast for Tuesday evening is for 22mph southerly wind. Far from perfect conditions but we are going to find somewhere to hide from the wind and carry on with running the sea kayak skills session as planned. Ready to be on the water at 18:00.

We will decide exactly where we go once we get on the water but our options are either to paddle over to the Barbican, operate around Mount Batten breakwater or maybe go to Turnchaple. Wherever we go we are expecting to run a meaningful session that will avoid being scary.

I can, however, guarantee that it won’t avoid being wet, so wear something suitable.

Aqualungs not required.

Clive A.
    Mob 07854 648584.

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

There’s another session this Tuesday, 5 July. Don’t be shy, you know you need the practice. I know that I do, come and join me.

Gurgle gurgle.

Clive A

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

There’s another chance to improve / demonstrate your sea kaya rescue skills tomorrow, Tuesday 26 July. 18:00 on the water.

I have reserved all the club Atlantic sea kayaks for this evening, if you wish to use a club boat then please contact myself.

Clive A.
    Mob 07854 648584.

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Your last chance to improve / show off your sea kayak rescue skills for 2022 will take place this Tuesday, 2 August, but be warned, You will come away smiling.

I have booked all the club Atlantic sea kayaks for this session, if you wish to use a club boat please contact me.

Clive A

Gill MannGill Mann
    Participant

Clive, I’m hoping to join this group tomorrow but there is a slight chance I’ll be looking after Mariella so Rita can paddle.
    Fingers 🤞

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Well, that was the last of our four sessions that were high in both octane and enjoyment, with the added bonus of being educational. (Oh, and I do ache a bit, and if I run my hands down the side of my neck, I think I can feel gills developing.)

My thanks to all of you that came along in such a marvellous frame of mind and for helping make these evenings the enjoyable experience that they were.

Special thanks to Adam and Karen, double act extraordinaire, for running these sessions for us.

Clive A.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.