River trip, Sunday 6 February.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m down to lead the river trip with Bekky this Sunday, 6 Feb. You will all be aware that we are in the grip of a very dry winter and that finding moving water to play on has proved to be more than a little challenging. As I write this (Tuesday morning) the Austins Bridge gauge is showing 0.51, which definitely qualifies as either low or very low, and there in negligible rain in the forecast. However, the Lower Lower Dart from Buckfast to Staverton doesn’t need much water so that is where we will paddle. Even so we can expect rocks. So, river paddling with the added bonus of a bit of geology, that’s the PPCA’s version of multi-tasking.

We will stop somewhere along the way to play with throwlines.

This trip is ideal for complete beginners and I am told that there are loads of people out there that want to do very simple white water. Here’s your chance to prove it.

Canoes, otherwise known as open boats, are welcome on this trip on the understanding that I hold no canoeing qualification and can only provide safety cover. Canoeists will need to be of a suitable skill level and will need to provide their own boats etc.

I will post again on Friday to confirm details but as it’s quite likely that the river will be quiet we can probably aim to leave Plympton ay 09:00 instead of our normal early start.

If you are intending to come along, can I ask that you let me know please. Thanks.

Clive A.
    Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584
    E-mail cliveandjoy01@gmail.com

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi all,

Well, according to Dartcom there was 5.6 mm of rain last night and the Austins Bridge gauge was showing 0.5 at 14:00 today. There is a little bit of rain in the forecast so this level should hold up for the weekend, so whilst definitely not a raging torrent this is a usable level.

We will meet ready to leave the Co-op car park at Plympton at 09:00. If you are going straight to the river please be in the lay by on the road from Buckfast to Totnes by 09:30.

Paddlers so far are:
    Bekky
    Clive
    Lisa

Any more takers please let me know.

I will post final confirmation at around 18:00 tomorrow. (Saturday).

Clive A.
    Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584

Embracing the digital age by counting on my fingers.

Lisa CurtisLisa Curtis
    Participant

Hi Clive I just saw this on the river dart fb page not sure if it affects us? “Road closure from Holne bridge to New Bridge”

Alan EdeBigAl
    Participant

I’ll be along with my grandson, Ryan.
    Al

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi all,

The level is holding up at 0.50m, with a bit of rain overnight. We should have more than a few smiles.

As previously posted, be at the Co-op car park in the ridgeway ready to leave at 09:00.

Paddlers so far are:

Al
    Bekky
    Clive
    Lisa
    Ryan
    Stephen

Any more takers please let me know.

Clive A.
    Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584

Embracing the digital age by counting on my fingers.

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Forgot to mention,

Thanks for the info Lisa but this road closure will not affect our plans.

Clive A

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.