River trip, Sunday 10 December.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m running the river trip this Sunday, 10 December. So what excitement do I have planned for all you lovely paddlers? In truth I haven’t got a clue. Depending which weather website you look at there may be loads of water on Sunday, there may be some water on Sunday or there may be none. My decision at the moment is to wait and until Saturday and see.

My opinion is that as things stand we don’t have any paddlers who I would call beginners, however if you are thinking of coming along on Sunday and consider yourself to be a beginner can I ask that you post here so that I can make a sensible decision about where we paddle.

Ken will be paddling with us on Sunday so if needs be we may be able to run 2 trips. It all depends on the levels.

Sorry to be vague, I hope you understand why. I will post again on Saturday night with an update.

Clive A.

Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584
    E-mail cliveandjoy01@gmail.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi brads wants to come if it’s still on due to the death on the dart river?

Kevin JonesKevin Jones
    Participant

Clive,

I’m planning to come along on Sunday. I have now occasionally managed a run with very few or even no encounters with the bottom of the river, so I suppose I can’t claim complete beginner status any more.

Some what more seriously, I’d be happyto make an attempt at what ever you consider reasonable.

I am of course convinced that there will either be too much water or too little water since I’m learning that this seems to be the norm!

Kevin

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Sadly one of the paddling community died on the Upper Dart yesterday. (Thursday). Our thoughts and condolences go to his family, friends and loved ones. Special thoughts must go to the people that were paddling with him yesterday; these people now have a horrible experience that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.

Sad as yesterday’s events were I don’t think we should stop our activities. I have e-mailed our committee members and those who have replied agree that we should carry on as normal. Sunday’s trip will go ahead as per my previous post.

Clive A.

Alan EdeBigAl
    Participant

I am hoping to go but can’t confirm until Saturday evening.
    Al

Alan EdeBigAl
    Participant

Sorry, diary malfunction…. I’m working tomorrow.
    Have a good one.
    Al

Colin WildingColin Wilding
    Participant

See you at the Co-op unless I hear differently.
    Colin

Andy KittleAndy Kittle
    Participant

Hi Clive
    My on call Rota changed to next week so I can make an appearance too tomorrow. Like Colin I’ll be at the co-op unless the plan changes
    Cheers
    Kitts

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi where we meeting an where are we going?

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

There is a lot of rain forecast overnight. Until we see exactly how accurate the forecast is I am still reluctant to make any decisions about where we are going to paddle, but my thoughts are that we should aim at running the Walkham. Meet at the Co-op car park in Plympton ready to leave at 09:00. This is quite a large car park so to save people congregating in different places can I suggest that we meet adjacent to the public toilets please?

Anyone going directly to the river meet at 09:30 at Denham Bridge, but check this forum first to ensure that there hasn’t been a change of plan.

I will post again in the morning before 08:00 to confirm arrangements.

Assuming the forecast is correct this will not be a trip for complete beginners, but as already mentioned in my previous post we don’t really have any complete beginners.

Open boats. There is already enough uncertainty with his trip so I don’t want to add open boats to the mix. No open boats tomorrow please, sorry.

Clive A.

Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584

p.s. Biggazza. Be patient.

EMUEMU
    Participant

Gavin and I will be there.

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Well, life still isn’t easy is it? At time of writing Dartcom shows 17.4 mm of rainfall and it’s still raining. At the moment the Walkham is still fairly low but the river gauges are steeply rising and I suspect that won’t be the case for very long.

So, we’ll meet at the Co-op as planned and go and look at the Walkham. We will have to make a final just before we get on the water but I am expecting to run the river. I am expecting it to be high. You need to decide if running the Walkham at a high level is for you. The level of difficulty on the Wlakham remains roughly the same at any level but at high levels the consequences of going for a swim cold well result in lost boats. Your call.

I will not be changing this into a peer paddle. Whatever we do today will be a club trip.

See you white water warriors shortly.

Biggazzer. Can you give me a call please? Thanks.

Clive A.

Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584

Colin WildingColin Wilding
    Participant

Hi. Anyone had ‘stomach issues’ after our little soirée on the Wallham? I have! 🙁

EMUEMU
    Participant

Might be a coincidence Colin, I’ve been fine.

EMUEMU
    Participant

Not heard anything from the others and saw some of them Wednesday

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.