River trip, Sunday 1 Oct

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi all,

I have the pleasure / honour / delight of running the first river trip of the 2023-24 season. I’ve been looking forward to it since the end of March.

Those new to the antics of river paddling will soon learn that we become obsessed with river levels. It is the river level combined with the predicted rainfall that dictates where or if we can paddle. The level for Sunday should make a trip on the Lower Dart a very pleasant affair, so that is what we will aim to do.

Again for you paddlers new to river paddling the Lower Dart (as defined by the PPCA, other clubs have different ideas) is the section from Holne Bridge to Dart Bridge at Buckfast. The river is graded as grade 2, which means it’s a good beginners river, so this trip will be classed as a beginners trip.

It goes without saying that all club members are welcome. I expect that there will be plenty of watery action for you experienced boys and girls to get involved with and I will be ever so grateful for all the help that I can get. Think of the words “Please” and “Pretty please” and you will be getting the picture.

We will meet at the car park adjacent to the Co-op on the Ridgeway, Plympton. For those that need such things the postcode of the Co-op is PL7 2AW. We will meet in the long-term part of the car park which is situated behind the toilet block. There are new parking arrangements in force for the short term section of this car park but we don’t need to register our vehicles to park in the long term area.

We will meet in time swap boats around and be ready to leave the car park at 08:30. I know this is early, but parking is limited at the river and an early start gives us the best chance of parking. We may be able to adjust the start time as the season progresses but for this week it will be ready to leave at 08:30.

As well as the normal river paddling safety gear, see separate post, you could bring along some kind of a snack. We won’t stop for lunch but a flask partway down the river is a good way to keep smiling.

If you are intending to come along can you let me know please? I don’t do facebook so a reply there quite possibly will not get to me. If you look on the website forum you will see my mobile number. A text would be lovely jubbly.

See you on Sunday.

Clive A
    Mob 07854 648584.
    Landline 01752 344425
    E-mail cliveandjoy01@gmail.com

David Wensleydave_wenz00
    Participant

Hi Clive im planning on coming cheers Dave 🙂

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

The level is 0.63 at Austins Bridge and there is nothing spectacular due to happen overnight, so this trip should go ahead in very friendly conditions.

Thanks to all that have let me know they are coming. See you all in the morning.

If anyone wants to go straight to the river we will be at the lay by at Buckfast adjacent to Dart Bridge at 09:00.

Splish slpash.

Clive A

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.