June 30, 2020 at 12:55 pm #12898Clive AParticipant
The good news is that the club is re-starting on Sat 4 July. Yippee, I hear you shout, but your glee may be short lived when I inform you that I am down to run the first session of our new era. I can hear the boos and hisses from here.
I’m sure you won’t too be surprised to learn that things are going to be a little bit different, so let me run through the main changes:
1) Numbers attending each session will be limited to 6, including the coach / session leader. For everyone’s safety we will be strictly keeping to these numbers, see item 4 re booking onto a session.
2) To accommodate numbers there will be 2 sessions on Saturday, one starting at 10:00 and the other (led by Joy on this occasion) starting at 10:30. The 2 sessions will operate independently and will not meet up for lunch.
3) We need to maintain social distancing at all times. Special care needs to taken in the sheds.
4) Sessions will need to be booked in advance. To book a place go onto the club website and click on “courses,” where you will find the booking form. Alternatively go to https://www.ppca-canoe-club.org.uk/introductory-courses/ We will be keeping to the 6 paddlers per session rule, so if you just turn up on the day without booking and the session is full you will be turned away.
5) The Mount Batten Centre remains closed so please be aware that for the time being changing facilities, showers and toilets will not be available. We do, however, have access to both our sheds so we have somewhere to store dry clothing and can access club equipment.
6) You are asked to arrive in your paddling clothing.
7) We are asked not to undertake open crossings and to keep close to shore when paddling. We are also asked not to practice deep water rescues except in an emergency.
Having said all that the forecast for Saturday isn’t great. I will post again on Friday to confirm what is going to happen.
Clive A.July 3, 2020 at 5:01 pm #12945Clive AParticipant
Joy and I have looked at the forecast and have reluctantly decided not to run this trip.
The forecast is for force 4 – 5 SW or WSW wind, gusting force 6, depending on which website you use. Low tide will be at 12:07 meaning that there will be no sheltered water in which to paddle. In normal circumstances I would have gone out for a few hours playing in the conditions but these are not normal times and erring on the side of caution is the order of the day.
On the plus side the forecast for Tuesday is far more conducive to happy summer paddling, hopefully we will see you then.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.