Open Canoe Camping Weekend

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marty JohnstonMartyJ
    Keymaster

Hi guys,

The recent faint glint of spring weather has had me looking forward to the summer, and this year I am very excited to announce we will be offering an open canoe camping weekend! The plan is to head to the river Wye on Friday 2nd August, paddling from Hay on Wye to Hereford over 2 days, and returning on Sunday 4th.

Camping has been arranged for both nights at the following paddle friendly campsites – Racquetry Farm and Byecross Farm. Both campsites have toilets, showers, hot water for washing up, and both allow fires and offer the option to buy logs.

We intend to camp at Racquetry on Friday after sorting out any necessary shuttles, the following day we will break camp and take everything in the boats, launching direct from the campsite. The journey to Byecross Farm should be a good day’s paddling depending on river flow (17 miles). Sunday we will break camp again before continuing to Hereford (11miles) where we can sort gear out and get drivers back to cars.

The cost of the trip will be approx. £30pp for camping, launch fee and parking (not including travel and food/supplies). There is also a local taxi service offering a shuttle service for paddlers, I am waiting for a quote so the cost may go up a bit if we choose this option. We can discuss this when I have final numbers.

You do not need to be an avid open boater to join, and there is plenty of time to get skills up to scratch between now and then!

If this is something you like the sound of then please register your interest on the Forum, Facebook or by email at acleader@ppca-canoe-club.org.uk

Spaces are limited and will be offered on a first come first served basis.

Joy AshfordJoy Ashford
    Participant

Clive and i are interested. Thanks for the organisation. X

Ian BrimacombeIan Brimacombe
    Keymaster

I’m up for it

Marty JohnstonMartyJ
    Keymaster

Thanks guys!

Patrick Bradleypatrick.bradley
    Participant

Interested , please keep me informed.

Marty JohnstonMartyJ
    Keymaster

Hi all, thanks for registering your interest in the Wye trip!
    I’ll be adding a product to the website in the courses page where you will be able to confirm your place by booking on. Once you have booked if you could you please let me know that would be great!
    I can then tick you off the list as I have to confirm the numbers with campsites and pay deposits fairly soon.

I’ve added a few questions below that will help us determine how many vehicles/boats/equipment we need to organise, so if you could copy, paste and return the questions below either into facebook messenger or email acleader@ppca-canoe-club.org.uk with the relevant answers that would really help us out.

Are you planning on driving up? (or are you sharing with someone)
    Are you willing to offer a lift to someone who isn’t driving?
    Do you need a lift?

Are you planning on paddling solo or tandem?
    If tandem do you need a partner?

Will you be taking your own boat?
    Will you need the use of a club boat?

Remember we will be taking everything with us on the Saturday and Sunday paddles (food, camping equipment etc) so it must all fit in your boat! If anyone is unsure of how best to pack your boat, or has any other questions or concerns about taking your kit with you I can run through all this on a Tuesday evening, with a dry (or not!) run demo!

If you still aren’t sure or want to know more then please get in touch!

Marty

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.