New format for Tuesday night sessions

Port of Plymouth Canoeing Association Forums PPCA General Forum PPCA Chat New format for Tuesday night sessions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark PerryMark Perry
    Keymaster

Hi all,

With the start of our upcoming summer program nearly here (yay!) I wanted to give you some more information and explanation to the recent changes to the summer program which should now be available to everyone on the calendar.
    BC have made several changes to their programmes and awards in line with making these more focused around the individual needs of the paddler, and encouraging personal development. The actual content of the courses and awards has not significantly changed, however some of the new wording and new assessment methods will be different to the current system.
    Last year the summer programme (the Tuesday evening paddles) consisted of BC 2* training, BC 3* training and a Rec Paddle. The new BC training system has replaced the ‘Star’ awards with a range of ‘Paddle’ and ‘Personal Performance’ awards.

I will do my best to explain the new system!

The new Paddle Awards consist of;

Paddle Start – A taster session designed to get people into paddle sports

Paddle Discover – Comparable to the 1* award

Paddle Explore – Comparable to the 2* award

These courses are open to allow paddlers to choose how they proceed throughout the course, so now everyone is free to do any course in any craft! No longer do canoeists “have” to sit in a kayak, or indeed kayakers succumb to the darkside! (Although definitely encouraged!) Equally you could choose to do a Paddle Explore award in a kayak and then do it again in a canoe! Although at the present time the Tuesday sessions will be kayak based unless there is the demand for a coach to run a canoe session. If this is something anyone would be interested in then please let me know.

The Personal Performance Awards have become discipline specific, for example – Sea Kayak, Canoe, White Water – to name a few – there is an extensive list for these. The club will now be offering the Sea award on Tuesday evenings which would in effect replace the 3* sessions that were run last year.

With these new awards there is no longer the need to register an assessment date with BC, instead once a paddler thinks they are ready to progress they can approach a coach and an assessment can be arranged. Please bear in mind we can’t do this every week but we are able to offer more dates throughout the season.

Remember it’s up to you to initiate this!!

More info for all of these new awards can be found at :-
    https://www.britishcanoeingawarding.org.uk/new-personal-performance-awards/

As a club we are embracing these new awards and believe that they will really encourage the personal development of all our club members!

On another note, there will be another choice for Tuesdays this year (we really are spoiled!!). This will be a ‘Late Start’ for those that struggle to get to the shed for 6. The Late Start option will be starting at 6.30, and will try to deliver paddlers to the nearest group if they wish to join that session, alternatively if there are particular skills you wish to practice or just get your mid week paddle fix, you can! This new late start is open to all types of boat so if you wanted to take an open canoe then please do! (a good way to work towards your paddle explore)
    I hope this helps
    If anyone has any queries, please don’t hesitate to ask and I will do my best to get the right answers!

Happy paddling!!

Marty Johnston

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Marty JohnstonMartyJ.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well explained buddy

EMUEMU
    Participant

There are quite a few people who have the old 3 star. Apart from the rec paddle is anything training wise available to us? There used to be 3 Star plus and Clive and Terry have done some good sea kayak sessions in the past. I realise there might not be enough coaches and that it’s more important to bring people through and up to the (old) 3 star level. Will those who already have 3 star sea still be welcome to train with the others so we can keep our skills and rescue training up to date? Thanks, Mark.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by EMUEMU.
    Marty JohnstonMartyJ
    Keymaster

Hi Mark
    The program of Tuesday night activities won’t fundamentally change, with the additional advanced training and sea kayak sessions continuing to run alongside the new awards if there is the demand and available coaches on the night.

Anyone who holds the old 3* award would be more than welcome to join in on the Sea Award to keep skills up to date and meet members who are advancing their skills to the Sea Award level.

EMUEMU
    Participant

Marty,
    Thank you for the reply. It’s nice to know I won’t be gate-crashing the Tuesday sessions. Looking forward to the first one next week.
    Mark

PHILIP CLEAVEPHILIP CLEAVE
    Participant

The BCU suggests that there is no age limit. From memory is the clubs policy age 7 or age 11

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey I just wanted to check for the Tuesday night sessions, do we have to be at the shed before 6 to sort out kit, or is it meet at 6 to sort out kit before putting the kayaks in the water? cheers.

Marty JohnstonMartyJ
    Keymaster

Hi Josh,
    On the water at 6, the sheds will be open before had to get gear sorted. Alternatively with the late start option you can be on the water at 6.30

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Marty JohnstonMartyJ.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello All,
    sorry I have not been paddling much lately been away doing competent crew and helping out at Mount batten during half term. Sam at Mount Batten suggested I try to get paddle sports instructor qualification, do any of you know how I go about this and if I can do this within PPCA?

Many thanks

Olivia

Marty JohnstonMartyJ
    Keymaster

Hi Olivia,
    I will look into it for you and get you some information.
    If there was enough people to fill a course we could arrange one through the club.
    I’ll be at the club this week and next if you want to find me and have a chat.
    Marty

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Marty

Thank you so much for your help hopefully I will see you next tuesday session so hopefully we can talk then

Thanks
    Liv

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.