Mid-summer(ish) overnight sea kayak camp, 18 – 19 June.

Port of Plymouth Canoeing Association Forums PPCA General Forum PPCA Club Paddles Mid-summer(ish) overnight sea kayak camp, 18 – 19 June.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi all,

An early heads up that I am arranging a mid-summer(ish) overnight sea kayak camp for Sat 18 – Sun 19 June. To attend this camp, you will need to be self sufficient including camping gear, cooking gear, food, water and any beer that you may wish to consume at the campsite.

I will post again a lot nearer the date and once I have an idea of what we are going to do but, in the meantime, you are allowed to get just a little bit excited.

Club boats are available for this trip. To book a club boat please contact equipment officer Pete Anderson via equipment@ppca-canoe-club.org.uk or 07958 694434.

Clive A.
    Mob 07854 648584
    E-mail cliveandjoy01@gmail.com

Embracing the digital age by counting on my fingers.

Karen SargentKaren
    Participant

Wine 🍷 for me 😸😸

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

I now have plan for this trip, it’s not a very cunning because it’s a plan that has been used before, but it is a tried and tested plan.

We have permission to park overnight at Blackpool Sands (near Dartmouth) car park free of charge, so the tried and tested plan is to launch at Blackpool Sands, paddle in a generally easterly direction and set up camp at Long Sands, a distance of approx. 7 miles. (You decimalised persons can do your own conversions.) Once camp has been set up those wishing to paddle further can explore to Berry Head, perhaps another 4 miles each way. We then paddle back to Blackpool Sands the following day.

I’ll give you some possible highlights.
    1) Caves in Leonards cove.
    2) Inner and Outer Combe Rocks.
    3) Seals at the Shag Stone.
    4) Brilliant rock tunnel at Pudcombe Cove.
    5) For the extended paddle there are rocks and caves and if we paddle out to sea we may well come across dolphins.
    I stress that these are only possible highlights, but my company is guaranteed. (Definitely not to be described as a highlight.)

So, let me describe the facilities at Long Sands. The most important thing is that there is no landward access. Other than that, there is approx. 400 yards of coarse sand and not a lot else. There is no water, no toilet facilities and very definitely no café. You will need to bring everything you need with you and be prepared to take out all your rubbish. I have no intention of catering for anyone other than myself and Joy so you will either need to bring supplies with you or go hungry. Having no landward access, I would expect there to be a good supply of driftwood.

I will post again closer to the day to advise times etc

Clive A.

Adam CoulsonAdam Coulson
    Keymaster

Great stuff – looking forward and delighted to hear that Joy planning on joining us.

Lisa CurtisLisa Curtis
    Participant

Thanks for organising this Clive, really looking forward to it 😁

Pete AndersonPete Anderson
    Participant

A reminder for those who may be interested in booking a club kayak for this event.
    That I will be in France from the 10th June until the 18th.
    If I don’t answer any messages.
    Please speak to Clive.
    So far one Alantic LV has been booked.

Have fun.
    Pete

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Not long now until our Midsummer(ish) camp, how very exciting! It’s better than Christmas!

I have a plan, which is:

Saturday 18 June.
    Launch at Blackpool Sands at 10:30.

Sometime later arrive at Long Sands. We may or may not stop for lunch on the way.

Set up camp.

Those that wish to extend the trip can do so, possibly as far as Berry Head.

I suspect that some people will partake in some kind of swimming activity.

Evening entertainment will be provided by the campers.

Sunday 19 June.
    Launch at Long Sands at 09:00.

Arrive back at Blackpool Sands.

Probably have lunch at Blackpool Sands.

Pack up and go home, very happy.

Things you need to know.
    We have kindly been given permission to park at Blackpool Sands free of charge courtesy of the Blackpool and Start Partnership.

The car par attendant is aware that we are coming. Make yourself known to him when you arrive and he will direct you to a suitable parking place.

There is also overnight security at Blackpool Sands however, you need to be aware that we will be parking at our own risk.

There is a wedding taking place at the same time. You will probably be well advised to make sure that you join the right party! No-one wants to find themselves married to Banjo! (Or me, thinking about it.)

Don’t underestimate the time it takes to pack your boat and carry it down to the shore line. Approx. 1 hour from arrival time to launch time is a good rule of thumb, but not all thumbs are of the same size.

A reminder that there are no facilities at Long Sands. You will need to bring everything that you need with you, and be prepared to pack out all your rubbish.

Those wishing to use club boats please arrange to pick them up before Saturday.

I will post again on Friday just to confirm that the weather is suitable for our little expedition.

Clive A.
    Mob 07854 648584

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

My mobile isn’t very well. It’s not likely to be very well until next week. Probably bet not to try contacting me on it.

Clive A

Adam CoulsonAdam Coulson
    Keymaster

A 21st Century replacement then? Did you know that you can get t’internet on yer phone these days? Whatever next 🙂

Gill MannGill Mann
    Participant

Still very excited, sausages packed. Hope we have some big tent pegs as it’s going to be a blowing a hoolie on the night x see you all Saturday morning
    🤞

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi again,

Well, after a warm, dry and calm week the weekend is looking a little breezy, maybe a bit damp and cool.

We’ll go ahead as planned but you do need to look at the forecast and check that you are happy. The wind, which is forecast to be quite lively on Saturday afternoon and first thing on Sunday morning, will be blowing along the beach where we are camping. The first mile of paddling on Sunday will be exposed to the following wind. You are all grow ups, you decide.

Looking forward to an entertaining weekend.

Gill, there will be plenty of big rocks to keep your tent in place.

Clive A.
    Mob out of action.
    Tel 01752 344425

2 days without a mobile, very liberating. You should try it.

Karen SargentKaren
    Participant

Me too Gill, wine, marshmallows and choc brownies packed. Going to be exciting, now conditions have changed. We will all enjoy the camp fire Saturday eve and chatting up under the stars.
    Now to packing waterproofs 😸
    See you in the morning xx

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.