Beginner River Trip 1 Nov

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kevin JonesKevin Jones
    Participant

Hi folks,

Ken and I are running the trip this weekend and it’s listed as a beginners’ trip. My phone bricked so I haven’t been able to coordinate yet but the liklihood is that, as there’s rain forecast for Sat, there’ll be enough water to do something on the Dart.

If there is interest, I’m happy to take a group on the easiest section – the lower lower, a fair bit easier than the lower – which would be perfect for those who are nervous about white water and want the gentlest introduction we can find. This would be fine for those who paddled on Tuesdays but haven’t braved the rivers yet.

Comment here or on FB and we’ll work something out. Further details nearer the day and after I get my phone working and can talk to Ken 🙂

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi Kevin

Ken is unavailable this Sunday and has asked if I would step in, which I have agreed to do.

I don’t have a number for you but my contact details are

Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584
    E-mail cliveandjoy01@gmail.com

Cheers

Clive A

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

Hi all,

As you can see from the above Kevin is willing to run a trip on the Lower Lower Dart. This is a little paddled section of the Dart that is underrated as a beginner’s trip. Not only is it good for the beginners but it’s also very pretty and often comes with wildlife. If you don’t see kingfishers on this trip then you have been paddling with your eyes closed.

I will be running a trip somewhere else for the rest of you. Sunday is a long way off yet but there is rain due on Saturday and into Sunday morning. I am hopeful that the river Walkham may be running at a suitable level but we will, of course, have to make a decision nearer the day. Probably Sat evening.

For those who are unsure the Walkham is a step up from the Lower Dart. I call it a beginner’s river for those who are no longer white-water novices.

If the Walkham is too low we will do something on the Dart, exactly where will depend on who signs up.

If you are interested in either of these trips please let us know. This is the only social media that I get involved with so if you want to come on my trip please either post here or contact me as per the details below.

How ‘citing.

Clive A.

Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584

Marketa MyskovaMarketa Myskova
    Participant

Hi Clive,

count me in on Sunday unless some sort of family emergency spoils my plans Keta

Andy KittleAndy Kittle
    Participant

Hi Clive,
    Can I add myself and Paul please
    Cheers Andy

Adam CoulsonAdam Coulson
    Keymaster

Like the idea of the Walkham Count me in, rain and Karen permitting

Sean GeorgeSean
    Participant

Yes, I fancy the Walkham too- see if I can finally conquer the slot and drop!!

Thanks, Sean.

Julian MilesJulian Miles
    Participant

Hi gents
    Layton and I would like to join you on Sunday: so 2 places.
    We’re are WW novices but joined Doug and Kevin on the Tamar 2 weeks ago and loved it. On balance, the Walkham trip sounds more fun!
    Julian

PS Kevin: you know our ability. If you think the lower Dart is more appropriate we won’t be offended!

George HamblinGeorgehamblin
    Keymaster

Hi Kev and Clive,

I intend on coming along, and am happy to come on either trip. I guess it is doubtful due to the rain, but can be safety cover and help on Kevin’s trip or will tag along with Clive, either way I need to be back in Plymouth by 1530 for work.

If the club trip does go ahead, as we are nearly at the magic 12, should someone else would to come along, just say and I will find someone else to peer paddle with.

If we get rained off with high levels and someone fancies a peer paddle, give me a shout.

I’ll shut up now. Cheers,

George

Kevin JonesKevin Jones
    Participant

Julian,

the Walkham, particularly in high water is a big step up from the Tamar – I personally rate it as harder than the Loop, both technically and due to the potentially long swims if something goes wrong. I think it might be a bit of a big step up but you both paddle well so that’s up to you and Clive to discuss really.

The lower lower is about the same difficulty as the Tamar but of a different chararcter. It would not be a challenge for you, even in quite high flow.

George, We currently have 4 for the LL with one experienced paddler having been conscripted :-), so feel free to paddle what you’d prefer.

Kevin

Michael Selleysmeg
    Participant

Keta, the lack of a paddle may spoil your plans, are you aware I have it? I am away on sunday and cannot paddle. phone me on 07792659747 or 01752 516577 so you can be reunited with it.

Helen WoodsHelen Woods
    Participant

Hi Kevin, one place for Jack Woods please on which ever trip you feel is most appropriate for him. He has now done 4 trips three on the lower dart and one on the Tamar. Thanks Helen

Clive AshfordClive A
    Participant

There is always a debate about how challenging/hard a particular river is compared to another. My opinion of the Walkham seems to differ from Kevin’s in that I think the Walkham is easier than the Loop section of the Dart and that the Walkham represents a good progression between the lower Dart and the Loop. But that is just my opinion.

Julian and Leyton. As Kevin says it is a huge step from the Tamar at low level to the Walkham at any level. I haven’t seen you paddle but my advice would be to err on the side of caution and join Kevin on the lower lower Dart. It’s still early in the season and there will be plenty of opportunity for you to run more challenging waters as the season progresses. I look forward to meeting you both in the near future.

Helen. Having seen Jack paddle last Sunday I think he would enjoy the Walkham and I would be very happy to take him, but see what Kevin advises and then make a decision. See also note to everyone below.

Keta. I have a spare paddle you can use if you haven’t been re-united with yours in time for Sunday.

Everyone. Depending on which weather forecast you look at there is almost continuous rain predicted from now until Sunday, apart from a dry spell on Saturday afternoon. The Walkham has been too low to paddle all week but as I type this it is rising fast. (Friday evening.) I will look at the levels again both tomorrow (Saturday) evening and again on Sunday morning before I make a final decision on Sunday. If the river is over 0.55mm on the Horrabridge environmental agency gauge https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/3200?direction=u I will change this to an intermediate trip, in which case it won’t be suitable for relative beginners like Jack. I will post my decision here by 08:00 on Sunday morning.

Assuming we do run the Walkham we will meet at Towerfield Drive, Woolwell, ready to leave at 09:00. (Postcode PL6 7FG). If you intend meeting us at the river then meet at Denham Bridge (Denham bridge spans the river Tavy. The Walkham joins the Tavy at Double Waters.) by 09:30. (Google maps give this as PL20 7NS.)

Clive A.

Tel 01752 344425
    Mob 07854 648584

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Clive AshfordClive A.
    Martin MillsMartinM
    Participant

Hi Kevin & Clive.

I would like to join you on the lower lower if you don’t mind.

I’ve hired a kayak, paddle & spray deck from the club but haven’t paddled a kayak for a number of years so may be excessively rusty but hopefully not completely seized.

Cheers

Martin

Jane Hitchingsjanehitchings
    Participant

Count me in on the Walkham please. Will watch forum to see whete I should join you.
    Jane

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.